Do I need a retail sales permit (Seller’s Permit)?

Yes, if you intend to sell or lease tangible personal property that would ordinarily be subject to sales tax if sold at retail, you will need a Seller’s Permit. You can obtain one here.

Do I need a special license for food service or alcoholic beverage sales?

All food service businesses must be licensed by the County of Marin Environmental Health Services. If you plan to serve or sell alcoholic beverages, a license is needed from the State Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control and a Use Permit is required from the Planning Division.

Do I need a permit for remodeling/construction or the addition of a sign?

Any business construction or remodeling may require a building permit. If you plan to put up or change a sign, a sign permit may be required.

Where do I go to get a zoning approval or a Home Occupation Permit?

You can check zoning ordinances using our online zoning portal. If you plan to operate a business in your home, a Home Occupation Permit is required in addition to obtaining a business license.


or check out our Frequently Asked Questions