Where do I go to get a zoning approval or a Home Occupation Permit?

The City’s zoning ordinance regulates land uses. Some businesses are not allowed in certain areas or may require a use permit. You can check zoning ordinances using this online zoning portal. If you plan to operate a business in your home, a Home Occupation Permit is required in addition to obtaining a business license.

Contact the Planning Division for more information:

City of Novato Community Development Dept.
Planning Division
22 Machin Avenue
Novato, CA 94945
(415) 899-8989

Counter Planning Schedule: Monday to Thursday.


or check out our Frequently Asked Questions