How can I find legal help and advice for my business?

The Novato Chamber of Commerce can recommend local lawyers. You can also search our directory of local lawyers, insurance companies and financial institutions, at Shop Local Novato.

How can I find a Novato residential realtor to help me or my employees locate housing in Novato?

You can review a selection of realtors with this online directory from Shop Local Novato.

How can I find real estate for my business in Novato?

You can research and review available real estate in the Search Available Space section of our site.

Will my business need an Employee Identification Number for tax purposes?

Yes, if your business will employ workers, withhold taxes, or operate as a corporation or partnership, you will require an Employee Identification Number (EID), sometimes referred to as a business tax ID number.

Do I need a retail sales permit (Seller’s Permit)?

Yes, if you intend to sell or lease tangible personal property that would ordinarily be subject to sales tax if sold at retail, you will need a Seller’s Permit. You can obtain one here.

Do I need to take any action when using a Fictitious Business Name?

Any name used other than your own name (i.e., John Doe, Consulting) must be filed with the Marin County Clerk’s office.

Do I need a special license for food service or alcoholic beverage sales?

All food service businesses must be licensed by the County of Marin Environmental Health Services. If you plan to serve or sell alcoholic beverages, a license is needed from the State Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control and a Use Permit is required from the Planning Division.

Do I need a permit for remodeling/construction or the addition of a sign?

Any business construction or remodeling may require a building permit. If you plan to put up or change a sign, a sign permit may be required.


or check out our Frequently Asked Questions